This chickpea salad is a great vegetarian salad, delicious and easy to make, suitable for gatherings because it can be made in advance. You can certainly make variations to this recipe, adjust it to your taste, add any other nuts or add some lime juice, use yogurt or cream cheese instead of mayo, In any case it is delicious, flavorful, healthy and nutritious.
Makes about 4 servings
2 cups chickpeas, rinsed and drained
2 green onions,chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds (no shell)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp flax seeds
1/2 tsp salt, or more if needed
Freshly ground black pepper
1 organic egg yolk
1/2 tsp mustard
1/4 cup cold pressed sunflower oil
1. Place the rinsed chickpeas into the bowl of a food processor and mix just a few to achieve a chunky consistency. No need for full mash. In case you don’t have a food processor you can use a potato masher or even a fork.
2. In a medium bowl combine chickpeas with onions, garlic, red pepper, seeds, salt and pepper.
3. Make the homemade mayonnaise. Put the egg yolk and the mustard in a small bowl. Mix and gradually add oil while mixing until all oil is well incorporated.
4. Add mayonnaise over the chickpea salad and stir to combine.
5. Serve with pita chips, crackers,toast bread, wraps or whatever else you prefer. I’ve made Pita Bread Chips, recipe here, but this time I’ve made them with no oil, just sprinkled some paprika on top of chips.