This Caramel Onion Bread is by far one of the best. The bread is very soft and fluffy especially with a wonderful aroma when baked. The onion caramel gives a great flavor.
Makes 1 loaf
1 large onion, chopped or thinly sliced
1 bunch green onion bulbs, chopped
2 tbsp olive oil
4 cups (500g) flour
1 tsp (5g) salt
25 g fresh yeast (2 1/4 tsp active dry yeast)
1 bunch green onion leaves, finely chopped
1 1/3 cup (320 ml) warm water
1. In a frying pan heat oil over medium heat. Cook onion until soft and golden brown, for about 7 minutes. Season with salt. Set aside to cool.
2. In a large bowl, mix flour with green onion leaves. Dissolve the fresh yeast with salt and 1/3 cup (80 ml) water and add to the flour mixture. Add the rest of 1 cup (240 ml) water, mix everything together then add caramelized onion and knead until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Cover it and let it sit for about 1 hour at room temperature to rise until doubled in size.
3. On a floured surface roll the dough into a loaf. Place in a 6×10 inch (15x25cm) baking tray and leave to rise again for 30 minutes. A regular loaf pan should be as good. Optional sprinkle salt and few green onion chopped leaves on top.
4. Preheat oven to 470F (240C). Place a small pot with water at the base of the oven to create steam.
5. Bake for 15 minutes with steam then remove the pot with water from the oven.
6. Reduce oven temperature to 450F (230C) and bake for another 10-15 minutes.
7. Cool on a wire rack. Let the bread cool completely before cutting.