This is one of the best dessert recipe you can try at home. Mille feuille is a very delicate and elegant cake that can impress everyone who taste it.
Makes about 5 servings
1 pound frozen puff pastry, defrosted
2 tablespoons powdered sugar
Vanilla Pastry Cream
2 cups of milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
4 egg yolks
1/2 cup of sugar
1/4 cup cornmeal
a little salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
Powdered sugar, to dust the top
1. Prepare the pastry cream. Beat egg yolks and sugar until slightly pale. Mix cornstarch and salt together.
2. Pour the milk into the pot and bring to a boil. Pour about a third of the hot milk over the egg yolk mixture. Pour the entire mixture into a saucepan with the milk. Cook while stirring. Remove from heat and add vanilla extract.
3. Pour the cream into a clean bowl and let it cool for 10 minutes, then stir in the butter. Cover with cling film, press directly on the surface of the ice cream to avoid forming a skin on the surface. Place in the refrigerator until chilled.
4. Preheat oven to 330F (165C). Butter a sheet of baking paper and line it with parchment paper.
5. On a floured surface, roll the puff pastry into a rectangle 1/10 inch (2mm) thick.
6. Use a rolling pin to transfer the dough to the prepared baking tray. Use a fork to poke the dough and cover with another sheet of parchment. Place another baking sheet on top so the dough doesn’t swell too much.
7. Bake for about 25-30 minutes until lightly golden. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
8. Preheat oven to 465F 240C.
9. To caramelize the cake, sprinkle about 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, a thin layer over the baked cake. Bake for a few minutes using the grill function until the sugar is melted.
10. Caramel the other side of the puff pastry.
11. When chilled, trim edges and cut puff pastry into 3 rectangles.
12. Assemble the feuille mille. Place a layer of caramel puffs on a serving plate. Pour the pastry cream into a 1/2 inch smooth round top pastry bag. Spread pastry cream on top and add raspberries. Place another layer of puff pastry on top of the filling. Add pastry cream, raspberries, and a final layer of pastry.
13. Chill in the fridge for a few hours or overnight before slicing. Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.