Crème Caramel – an elegant and delicious dessert known all over the world. There’s nothing like the smooth caramel layer on top, the vanilla flavor and the creamy consistency. The best part is that Creme Caramel can be made in advance so it is perfect for gatherings or parties.
Makes 4-6 servings
For the topping
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp (120 g) sugar
2 tbsp (30 ml) water
For the custard
2 cups (500 ml) milk
1/4 cup (50 g) sugar
1 vanilla bean
1/2 tsp corn starch (optional)
1. Heat the oven to 325°F/160°C.
2. Heat the sugar and water in a saucepan until the liquid turns golden brown. Immediately, pour the caramel into a 7 inch (18 cm) cake pan coating the sides too.
3. Pour the milk into the same saucepan. Add the vanilla bean seeds and the pod into the milk. Heat the milk but do not bring to boil, then set aside to infuse for few minutes.
4. In a separate bowl beat the eggs with the sugar. Add the corn starch. Pour the milk over the egg mixture.
5. Pour the custard carefully over the prepared pan and place the pan in a larger pan. Pour hot water into the bottom pan to come half-way up the sides. Bake until golden for about 45 minutes to an hour.
6. Cool completely. Then cover and refrigerate for at least a couple of hours. To serve turn out onto a plate.